Saturday, November 7, 2009

One week down

Wow! I have found that word coming out of my mouth serveral times in the first week of our trip. Every parent is proud of their children but it is hard to describe how it feels to watch your child interact within the culture that they have been studying. What an amazing first week we have had. We got up at the crack of dawn to go the fish market in Tokyo and watch the large tuna being auctioned off. I have to give Kilian and Elisabeth credit for being willing to eat sushi for breakfast. I know that at 10 years old, I would have not been to excited about the idea of eating raw fish at any hour, let alone 6am. We spent 3 amazing days in the old city of Kyoto. We had the pleasure of veiwing amazing temples; I only wish we had more time to enjoy each of them. The highlight for me was feeding the deer in Nara. Sensei and Tonya had a hard time getting over the smell of the deer but it was fun to watch the kids feed crackers to the deer.

We formally met the host families yesterday and said goodbye to the kids for the week. It was hard not to be nervous on their behalf but we have been told by Sensei that they are fitting in already just fine. We are anxious to hear how they are doing. I guess I will have to try and figure out what to do now that I have no responsibilities for the next 5 days. What a rough life I lead.
Matt San